Fresh asparagus couscous salad
- 1 garlic scape, very finely chopped
- 6 scallions, white parts only, finely chopped (reserve greens for salad)
- 6 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 Tsp. vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup each fish or chicken stock, water, and couscous
- 1 lbs. asparagus, sliced diagonally into 1/3-inch slices, reserve tips
- l/3 lb. cooked small shrimp
- Salad mix or leaf lettuce, for serving
In a small bowl mix the garlic, scallions, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan sauté the onions in oil over medium heat for about 4 minutes. Add the stock and water. Bring to a boil, then stir in the couscous, remove from heat, and cover. After 5 minutes, fluff with a fork and allow to stand 5 more minutes, then fluff again. Transfer to a large dish and refrigerate. As other ingredients are readied, remove and fluff every 10 minutes.
Blanch the asparagus until tender but crisp. Place into iced water for 2 minutes, drain and set on towels to absorb extra moisture. Whip the oil into dressing with a fork, then stir in the dill. Mix the asparagus, radishes, green onions, shrimp, and dressing into the couscous. Serve over a lettuce leaf base, garnishing with the asparagus tips.